IMPORTANT:AttackDefense Labs is included with a Pentester Academy subscription! Upgrade Now to access over 1800+ Labs.
Already a Pentester Academy student? Your access will continue uninterrupted. Please use the same Google account to login here.
Not a Pentester Academy student? Try our Free Communitiy Labs
Excessive Data Exposure I
rest-api-security | Level: Easy | Total Lab Runs: 0 | Premium Lab |
Securing an API is a critical task. A poor API design may lead to system compromise. Its impact becomes more critical when sensitive user information is exposed by the API.
A Chat WebApp allows anyone to view the name and avatar of any user registered on the app. The API was not well-designed and relied on the client to perform data filtering instead of sending only required details.
One of the registered app users, having the name "Brian Thomas" had set only 2 security questions to be answered before resetting his password and that information was revealed by the API due to improper API design.
This challenge is focused on leveraging Excessive Data Exposure in the application.
Objective: Hijack the account of the user named "Brian Thomas" and retrieve the Golden Ticket!
| Name ||Brian Thomas|
- This lab is dedicated to you! No other users are on this network :)
- Once you start the lab, you will have access to a Kali GUI instance.
- Your Kali instance has an interface with IP address 192.X.Y.2. Run "ifconfig" to know the values of X and Y.
- The Chat WebApp is running on port 5000 on the target machine having IP address 192.X.Y.3.
- Do not attack the gateway located at IP address 192.X.Y.1
The following activities are strictly prohibited on this website unless otherwise explicitly stated as allowed in the mission statement:
- Using automated scanners
- Using brute force attacks
- Denial of Service attacks
- Attacking other student machines in challenges where you might achieve a shell on the vulnerable system
- Attacking the lab infrastructure
Users violating the above will be either temporarily or permanently banned from the website.
If you are unsure about an activity, then please contact support to confirm that it is allowed on our website.
Technical Support for this Lab:
There is a reason we provide unlimited lab time: you can take as much time as you need to solve a lab. However, we realize that sometimes hints might be necessary to keep you motivated!
We currently provide technical support limited to:
- Giving hints for a lab exercise
- In rare circumstances, if you have totally given up (NO!!!) then tell you how to solve it. This will be limited to sharing the solution video or lab report
- A lab exercise fails to load or has errors in it
If you need technical support, please email firstname.lastname@example.org clearly mention the name and link of the lab exercise and other essential details. The more descriptive you are, the faster we can help you. We will get back to you within 24 hours or less.
For adminitrative queries, billing, enterprise accounts etc. please email email@example.com